How To Control Your Oily Skin on the Cheap

I’ve always battled with oily skin – I feel like i’ve tried everything and finally I’ve noticed a huge difference in my skin, for the better. People who are prone to oily skin most often notice the problem on their faces because the sebaceous glands, which produce oil, are larger and more concentrated there.

I have suffered with breakouts on my chin and forehead area since I was in my early teens, as well as sensitivity and redness. As a student, I always try and save money where I can, so I ditched the Clinique and MAC skincare for a few months and tried and tested some high-street store products instead.

A few tips first:

• don’t scrub your skin on a regular basis – it will inflame your skin and could make it worse.
  • a strong cleanser could make your skin produce more oil because oil production is increased by irritation.
  • a toner that contains salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide will help to balance your skin.
  • remove makeup at night with a mild soap or gentle cleanser.
  • never use everyday hand soap on your face – it’s too harsh and could cause irritation, creating more oil.
  • don’t forget to moisturise – a lot of oily people assume they shouldn’t used moisturiser but this can make your skin more unbalanced.
  • avoid using makeup with an SPF.

Wash your face twice a day – morning and night

I use the Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser – £13.97 from Amazon
Lather the face and then wash with warm water. This stuff lasts forever.

41YvhXauYCL

Read product packaging and only use water based non-comedogenic products.

Try the Nivea Daily Essentials Oil Free Moisturising Day Cream – £3.99 from Boots

10116339

Use a deep cleansing facial mask

Use a mask containing purifying ingredients, such as clay, as well as soothing ingredients like shea butter or honey once a week. This is the best for absorbing oil without drying out skin.

Boots Simply Sensitive Deep Cleansing Face Mask – £2.99 from Boots

10121544

It’s very important that you keep your makeup brushes clean. If you have breakouts and you’re using the same brush on your face everyday, you’re contaminating it and then spreading it on your skin, causing more spots.

Before and after starting this routine:

IMG_0090IMG_0295

Clarina

Clarina helps enthusiastic bloggers develop & stand out online, as well as reviewing popular products, discussing the latest beauty trends and quite honestly anything that takes her fancy. Oh! And she's on YouTube.

Join over 1,000 awesome bloggers and subscribe.

12 comments on “How To Control Your Oily Skin on the Cheap”

1. seo says:

Hello Web Admin, I noticed that your On-Page SEO is is missing a few factors, for one you do not use all three H tags in your post, also I notice that you are not using bold or italics properly in your SEO optimization. On-Page SEO means more now than ever since the new Google update: Panda. No longer are backlinks and simply pinging or sending out a RSS feed the key to getting Google PageRank or Alexa Rankings, You now NEED On-Page SEO. So what is good On-Page SEO?First your keyword must appear in the title.Then it must appear in the URL.You have to optimize your keyword and make sure that it has a nice keyword density of 3-5% in your article with relevant LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing). Then you should spread all H1,H2,H3 tags in your article.Your Keyword should appear in your first paragraph and in the last sentence of the page. You should have relevant usage of Bold and italics of your keyword.There should be one internal link to a page on your blog and you should have one image with an alt tag that has your keyword….wait there’s even more Now what if i told you there was a simple WordPress plugin that does all the On-Page SEO, and automatically for you? That’s right AUTOMATICALLY, just watch this 4minute video for more information at. Seo Plugin

2. seo plugin says:

3. I like the valuable information you provide in your articles.

I will bookmark your blog and check again here regularly.
    I’m quite sure I’ll learn many new stuff right here! Best
    of luck for the next!

4. Arielle says:

Thank you so much for sharing your tips! I have been struggling with oily skin since I was a teen and I tried countless amount of products that made no difference at all.

1. claireelsley says:

There are so many cons out there it’s unreal an I’ve tried every trick and product but nothing has worked as well as this! I can actually feel tightness in my skin sometimes which I never felt before.

5. Liz says:

Love this! I hate spending so much money on my skin. This is awesome!

1. claireelsley says:

Thanks I’m glad you liked it! These cheaper products did exactly the same as the more expensive so it just makes sense!

6. I love this! Living in Arizona, I have nothing by oily skin due to the heat! Thank you!

1. claireelsley says:

Glad it’s helped you! Heat on oily skin is a nightmare 🙁 thank you!

1. oh man you’re telling me!

7. I am honestly so happy with the Simple cleaner and toner it really has done wonders to my skin <3

1. claireelsley says:

Yes! I’ve tried that aswell, the moisturiser is also really good and is amongst the few that agrees with my skin!